Assistant Cemetery Manager
Cemetery Service Industry
Ref: # 886
Chicagoland — Near West Suburbs
Do you have strong operations experience and bring a calm approach to clients and their families facing end of life decision making choices? Do you like working with people and processes? Are you comfortable in a Jewish cemetery environment? Want to make an impact for the next generations of customers?
Assistant Cemetery Manager will assist management in all aspects of cemetery administration and operations. Candidate will deal directly with customers and funeral directors; oversee cemetery property, 40 grounds staff and 12 office staff. Candidate will promote cemetery to existing and prospective clients, as well as the broader Jewish community. Candidate would assume direct responsibility for many of these functions, whenever appropriate. Position encompasses new and varied work situations with a high degree of complexity.
- College degree (preferably in business or accounting).
- 5+ years of business experience in management, sales or administrative position.
- A valid driver’s license.
- Familiarity with Spanish would be beneficial, but is not required.
- Knowledge of state cemetery law governing cemetery management is preferred. Otherwise, will learn.
- Superior interpersonal and supervisory skills, coupled with service and teamwork orientation.
- Able to make decisions, exercise discretion and independent judgment, and solve problems.
- Able to communicate and interact with both the public and employees, including ability to relate to patrons with empathy and concern.
- Able to handle multiple projects/priorities simultaneously.
- Able to work with sensitive and confidential information.
- Excellent verbal (including oral presentation) and written communication skills.
- Creative, yet accurate and detail-oriented.
- Comfortable working with financial statements and accounting data, and performing business math calculations.
- Proficient with all basic office equipment, including experience with spreadsheet and word processing software.
- Familiar with Jewish community; comfort level with Jewish customs and traditions is preferred.
- Ability to translate (monuments) from Hebrew to English is a plus.
Responsibilities listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. Omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position. Duties and responsibilities are also subject to change by the employer as the needs of the cemetery and the job change.
- Coordinate all aspects of personnel management: schedules, direct and supervise office and grounds staff.
- Ensure that staff is properly trained, implementing prudent personnel management practices.
- Evaluate staff on a regular basis.
- Communicate regularly with management and other cemetery personnel: exchange information, resolve issues & receive appropriate direction.
- Develop & implement plans to improve efficiency, effectiveness, & profitability of cemetery operations.
- Assure compliance with all legal and safety requirements, as well as Jewish customs related to cemetery operations.
- Attend and conduct staff & board meetings.
- Meet with families, patrons, funeral directors, cemetery business owners and religious leaders, whenever necessary. Solve outstanding issues, establish and/or maintain critical relationships.
- Prepare appropriate forms in case of employee injury and ensure that the necessary insurance carrier and/or legal counsel are notified.
- Initiate requests, conduct research and propose recommendations concerning purchase, repair or replacement of major equipment.
- Function as team member. Take lead in developing sales and pricing strategies, new products and services.
- Involved with procedures for payment of bills, processing of purchase orders & depositing of funds.
- Prepare monthly inventory reports.
- Available to work Sundays during the Spring, Summer and Fall seasons.
- Available to respond to 24-hour emergency calls from police/fire departments, and alarm company.
- Meet with clergy from Chicagoland Jewish synagogues, funeral home directors & leaders of fraternal organizations.
At times, candidate required to walk nimbly throughout cemetery property. May need to lift items that require lifting and/or moving that weigh up to 25 pounds.
Work is performed both indoors and outdoors, under continual, tight deadlines. Work may be performed under unfavorable and/or harsh weather conditions.
Physical demands and work environment described above represent physical capabilities that must be met by employee and working conditions that employee encounters while performing this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions. Employee is required to travel to other locations frequently. Employee is on-call in case of emergency.
Send resume, samples, answers to the 10 questions from this link http://lhazan.com/qa/ to email@example.com. Please include “Assistant Cemetery Manager” in the subject line. A follow up call to 312-863-5401 would be appreciated.