Data Scientist-Initially Virtual, Eventually Work on Site
Medical Insurance Co.-Downtown Chicago
Ref # 931
Do you have strengths in data analytics & statistics? Have approximately 4-5 years of professional experience working in insurance or financial services? Want to create your own job?
Candidate will analyze statistical data affecting the company’s Operations including Claims, Underwriting, Risk Management, and Reinsurance. This long- time client appreciates candidates who understand process & evolving change. Very stable work environment with excellent benefits.
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, mathematics, or statistics.
- 2-5 years’ experience in insurance or financial related field.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with professional, service-oriented demeanor required. Must have strong analytical and problem- solving skills
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel plus working knowledge of SQL, Python, R.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Evaluate through objective statistical analyses, effectiveness of various programs. Report results to Senior Management.
- Perform and prepare analytical tasks on vast amounts of structured and unstructured data to extract actionable business insights.
- Prepare statistical analyses of claim and underwriting data for use in discussions with reinsurers and reinsurance brokers.
- Develop algorithms using advanced mathematical and statistical techniques like machine learning to predict business outcomes and recommend optimal actions to management.
- Prepare statistical analyses requested by various departments.
- Assist internal and external actuaries in data preparation and analysis.
- Manage development of methodology & protocol for ongoing use of data to monitor all aspects of operations of company.
- Provide quality service in all areas of responsibility.
- Additional duties and responsibilities as required.
- Report To: Vice President, Internal Audit
Essential Physical Requirements of Position:
- Ability to travel by car or airline when necessary & as safety measures open up.
- Close visual acuity to read extensive amounts of written information in a standard font for extended period of time.
- Able to view and read from computer screens, telephone screens and printed materials..
- Able to receive detailed information through oral communication.
- Able to communicate verbally, convey & express complex/ detailed ideas, information & instructions to others clearly, accurately, & effectively in person & via telephone.
- Able to analyze complex data & information.
- Able to lead & participate in presentations & meetings.
- Able to move about to accomplish tasks, attend meetings & scheduled events both inside and outside office.
Internal Contacts: All divisions within the Companies.
External Contacts: Company appointed agents/brokers (both current & prospective). Reinsurance brokers and actuaries.
Lynn Hazan & Associates. www.lhazan.com