Patent Law Firm – Downtown Chicago
Ref # 925, 926
Are you a motivated PhD in Life sciences or Engineering or a MS in biomedical sciences? Do you have strong technical/medical writing experience? Interested in supporting scientists and engineers to protect their innovations in a collegial work environment? Want an alternative career path in the law without law school training? Do you thrive on diversity? Want to remain on the cutting edge of technology?
Our client, a top ranked Chicago patent law firm seeks Technical Advisors (2 positions). These non-lawyers work in Intellectual Property Practice under supervision of Intellectual Property attorneys in providing legal services to clients. They help represent clients involved in patent prosecution matters, contested patent proceedings, IP litigation and due diligence. Will also consider candidates with existing experience in patent law from a law firm.
Our Client: Award-winning law firm provides legal services in intellectual property including litigation, prosecution, and general client counseling. Client list includes Fortune 100 companies, mid-size companies, startups, and academic institutions. Positive, respectful, team-based atmosphere with client-focused work ethic. Will receive training. Casual work environment.
Benefits: Highly competitive salary and bonus program. Support CLE and growth track for Patent Bar Exam. Professional development programs. Formal and informal mentoring programs. Workout facilities on site. Social events throughout the year. Opportunity to apply to Law Clerk Program, should candidate choose to pursue to law school and become IP Attorney. Opportunity for career advancement.
- Work with attorneys to develop creative patent strategies for clients. Analyze invention disclosures and develop global patent strategies.
- Conduct prior art searches
- Prepare and file patent applications. Handle all prosecution + filing correspondence with clients, global patent offices + local agents. Respond to all patent office communications regarding patent applications.
- Support preparation of legal opinions on freedom to operate, ownership, inventorship, infringement, and validity issues
- Provide support to biotech/pharma, chemical, electrical, mechanical & materials, medical devices & diagnostics, telecommunications and technology clients
- Work breakout: 80% writing & research, 20% meet with attorneys & clients
- Project assignments are split 50/50 between engineering and life sciences.
- Bachelor of Science degree – Engineering (Computer Science, Electrical, Mechanical, Computer, Biomedical) or in Chemistry
- Advanced degrees – MS or PhD a plus. Additional Law degree, a value-add
- Min 3 years’ experience in lab setting and/or technical work. Will also consider internship experience. Must have writing samples (1-10 pages)
- Excellent interpersonal, networking, and influencing skills
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills (oral and written)
- Well-organized and able to handle several projects simultaneously
- Well-versed with the key industry players and products in the various relevant technical areas
- High ethical standards
- Familiarity + competency with technology. Knowledge of word processing + other software as needed
- Speak the language of the scientists and inventors with whom they work
- Current on today’s ways of thinking regarding science and technology. Current on IP law
- Technical experience is key in understanding and protecting clients’ innovations
To apply: Please forward your resume, writing samples (1-10 pages), unofficial transcript and answers to the questions from this link https://lhazan.com/qa/ to Lynn@lhazan.com